This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Wednesday, April 20, 2022

Septuagenarian cycling

      That was a mouthful just writing it down, but since I'm officially qualified to talk about it,  I thought I'd try.   Having seven decades behind me I really don't know what to say.   Things don't seem much different except that I either need or get more rest.  Being an old guy, I just had blood drawn and analyzed,  the lipid and metabolic panels look just like they did when I was 30 , weight and blood pressure the same.  Medically, I'm boring.  How much is the result of exercise, genetics or diet is as much your guess as mine.  I just have to l live with it.
       Today I rode to work at the local high school where I substitute 3 days a week.  It's a 6 mile ride and, since it's April, in Michigan,
I'm still wearing a base layer some days and we had a little sleet to deal with, nothing to think about.   After a day joking around with teenagers who get a kick out of the "crazyoldguyonabike," there was a quick dash through the trails along the creek and mid day traffic downtown for a brief meeting followed by a stop for happy hour before going home.  It added up to 20 miles of riding between places and working up a bit of sweat enjoying clean breezes and the sounds of birds slowly migrating back while spandex hamsters play pretend racer, communing on Zwift to avoid 40⁰.  We could just sit around inside worrying about getting older, but, apparently, cyclists don't qualify.   

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on making the Big 70! I'm not far off be 67 in August and except for my Ankylosing Spondylitis arthritis I too as you put it are "medically boring", LOL! ;) I admire you still working part time, being a poor but retired guy I enjoy but alas I could use a bit more income level! I have stepped down a bit as I now ride a recumbent trike although mainly due to my wife has "balance" problems (2 heart attacks and type 2 diabetes) I can't still ride a 2-wheeled bike but I like being "compatible" in riding style and speed with her. Keep On Truck'in down the road, ENJOY the time we have left to us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for the double post and LOL, it was supposed to be "I CAN" still ride a two wheeled machine. Arrugh fat fingers! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck, there's plenty more ahead.

    ReplyDelete