This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Re-Review Nuvinci N360

    I've been riding on the Nuvinci hub now for the entire season.  I put an average of 80-90 miles a week on Byron and have come to love both the bike and the CVT.
 The Nuvinci hub is an incredibly smooth and efficient transmission with a great range of ratios and in my experience is far superior to the Shimano Nexus hub.  

The shift mechanism is a real pleasure. It feels a bit stiff when shifting while pressuring the pedals, but I have had no problems with the operation at this point.  Since the transmission has no specific gears the experience when riding is truly intuitive.  I look at the indicator at stop signs to pick a reasonable starting ratio, but forget it entirely while riding, and am able to make minute and continuous adjustments for the wind and terrain.
   The only problem I encountered was something I caused myself.  The installation of the shift mechanism was surprisingly simple and straight forward.   I was smart and left enough cable to allow for slack to remove the wheel without disconnecting the cables, so that when I had to change a tire, it would be simple--right?
    Well, not exactly, see it all leads back to the nifty ring lock I put on the rear wheel.  I really love having those locks on the bike

 but a couple of times I have found the bike in a different location on a bike rack.  It means a possible theft was foiled and the would be thief left it in a convenient spot and I presumed ran. It happened one day that the thief must have been pissed because the tire was flat also.  Fortunately I was close to home and just walked the bike back, flipped it over, and removed the wheel.  It was easy, I left the cables installed, removed the tire and tube, put a new tube in, replaced the tire, inflated it and replaced the wheel.  I never found a puncture in the tube I removed so I know some evil creature lurked out there and got me!
    But the real story begins here.  When I rode the bike the next few days, I noticed a grease collecting on the spokes and the shifter was working harder.  I cleaned up the grease residue, put the bike on the stand over night and inspected it in the morning.  I found a dark trail of grease on the side of the hub, panicked and assumed the hub had broken and gone bad.    I  immediately e-mailed the customer service department and, although they were slow to respond, they offered to inspect and replace the hub with out any problem.
    Now the good part.  
      I was wrong! 
 When I removed the wheel, I found that the shift interface,



that groovy little magical widget on the cable ends, had split open somehow.  The grease had come from that.
 I removed it and found it wasn't full of magic at all, but little nylon gears, six to be exact.  The case for this little gizmo had apparently come unsnapped after I removed the wheel with the cables attached.  Nuvinci had no problem with replacing it even though I admitted I may have done it myself.   They sent me a new one right away and installation was not a problem.  One thing to remember  is the default setting for the hub is full overdrive (high gear).  Make sure the highest gear is fully engaged before disconnecting the cables.  If you don't there are simple instructions to restore it in the manuals.
    So what have we learned?  Nuvinci hubs are a lot of fun to use, ring locks work well 
and frustrate the crap out of potential thieves, 

always disconnect the cables before removing the wheels, 
always leave the transmission in high gear before removing the cables,
and, (surprise!) I am not smarter than the guys who invented a revolutionary new transmission system.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I appreciate the compliment.
    Marc

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Marc,

    I have been reading a few of your posts regarding the nuvinci hub. My wife and I just purchased a used bike that has a nuvinci N380 installed on it. We test rode it a lot before buying and it was really smooth. However, when I put the bike in a repair stand and spin the wheels in the underdrive setting I notice a little rattling noise. Its not a consistent rattle and it doesn't occur as I shift it into the overdrive setting. I was wondering if you encountered this before with your nuvinci hubs? The rattling sound is not heard during actual riding and pedaling and it doesn't seem to have any affect of the how pedaling feels. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the internal gears you mentioned in the shift interface.
    Let me know if you have any questions.

    Thank you,
    Dan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Dan, I've had no experience with an odd noise like that. Let me know if you find any reason for it.

      Marc

      Delete