This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Sunday, February 24, 2013

I know I'm crazy but...


I was at the bank the other day during one of our recent snow storms.   Everybody was all a gaga over the weather and the teller said "I really feel sorry for you out there on your bike!"  I smiled, looked at her with the most smug and condescending twinkle in my eye and said, "I could have driven my car if I wanted."  The room froze with deafening silent stares as I chuckled my way from the room.   Really, for a short 5-10 miles of errands I was much warmer riding my bike than I would have been getting in and out of the car.  Later after lunch at Panera Bread, a woman walked up to me and said, "I think you must be awfully brave."  But then she looked at the knobby studded tires and said, "Oh, those look quite nice for this weather!"  Really I don't mind people thinking I'm nuts, I gave up caring a long time ago,  But check out this from Lake Baikal in Siberia.

It's true,  there really is nothing to do in Siberia.  Russian is not one of the languages I've studied, but I did my best to translate a couple sentences.  It was something like:
"I'm miserable, cold and scared shitless, but the only liquor store is at the other end of the lake!"

No comments:

Post a Comment