This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Funny how the mind works

The last few days the central part of the country was overwhelmed with a gigantic snowstorm.
It crawled across the plains and headed up toward Chicago and barely laid an outreaching arm over the lower part of Michigan.  While Kansas City and Des Moines struggled with the two feet of snow for which they were horribly unprepared, those of us in Michigan looked forward to it.  I was hoping for more than we received.
  I stopped at happy hour for a drink on Tuesday and the bartender asked if it was starting to come down.  It had, the temps were dropping, rain was freezing and everything was soaking wet out there.
As I sat there, the snow had begun to fall, soon the ice would be forming in sheets and begin to get covered with dangerously slick, thick snow.  I thought I should sit and watch a basketball game, after all  the ride home would be more interesting in a while.
 By the time I got home it was coming down fast and I was looking forward to an interesting morning on the MUP.  Not only would it refresh the ski slopes, I, in my own perverse way, was hoping the streets would be a little more challenging for a day or two.  That's the effect that studded tires have on a cyclist.  Crusty, slushy, icy crap covered with a fresh coat of snow makes a routine trip more interesting and trying.We only ended up with about 5 inches but the icy coating made the next day more fun than another day on the pavement.

No comments:

Post a Comment