This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Lumen weenies

I had both the need and occasion to try the newer version of the Planet Bike superflash taillight. I like to stick to the scientific explanation whenever possible and this one is called the"max" "Ultra" or something, anyway it's the white one for which they charge more. Again, being scientific and all, I have to say, their Super Flash has proven to be an instant classic. It's one of those things that just has always exceeded expectations. Like the Pletscher mousetrap, it just works.
So, why make a better mousetrap, or light for that matter. I subjected them to rigorous testing (hung the two models on the wall together and looked at them).
The one that costs more (on the left)



is brighter. Logic would tell you that's a good thing. But are commuters becoming as crazy about lumens,luxes and brightness as spandex hamsters are about grams?
I read of a bike light so bright it is not recommended for use on the steeet. Of course, that begs the question;"Where would you use it?" Apparantly riding down the side of mountains in broad daylight is not challenging enough for some people, they have to do it at night! Even more surprising is the idea that there are enough of these people to justify the production of a $1200 headlight.
At a $5 price premium, the brighter Super Flash is probably a good idea, whether a bat signal on the front will make you safer is questionable.

1 comment:

  1. I have the have Superflash Turbo. It works great and I highly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete