This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Sunday, February 19, 2012

An Amtrak day

I once again had occasion to make a trip to Illinois for family business and took my folder to the train station. Oddly enough a station person came out to the platform as we were boarding to inform me their conductor would not allow me to board with my bike. I politely informed her that folding bikes were allowed as carry-on baggage. She informed me it would have to be boxed. I assured her again that it was allowed,I had made dozens of trips with it and it was not a problem. The entire time, the conductor was 3 feet away and said not a word. I was waved forward, told to board to the right where I would find room for the bike. I enjoyed the first leg of my trip despite the ill informed employee.
In Chicago I had scheduled a few hours between trains and made a trip to The Art Institute which is great for absorbing a few hours any day. A couple amazing things happened there. First,the museum shop had this beautiful coffee table quality book about bikes.


I was really tempted by this, but, I don't have a coffee table,didn't feel like spending $35,rarely have visitors at home and there were no pictures of any of the bikes I own. I think I would deserve some social gratification for $35, so I left it.
The second surprising thing occurred when I walked out of the Art Institute. After 3 hours, my bike was still there right on Michigan Ave.


Not only my bike, but the helmet and gloves I had left on it as well. I didn't think bike thieves were helmet people. Now we know for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment