This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

I'm getting paranoid

In my last post I mentioned the appearance of the coffee table book about cycling.  
There I was at the Art Institute of Chicago, surrounded by one of the largest collections of the the most beautiful stuff in the world, and a book about bikes appears.
That's not a great big stretch, there were all kinds of expensive coffee table books there.
But the day following, I was in a Perkins restaurant in downstate Illinois, where people give directions by referring to corn rows, waiting in the "foyer" surrounded by tourist merchandise when this book
caught my eye.
"Through The Eyes of a Steeple Jack" is very interesting pictorial written by a real live guy who repairs church steeples.   For those who follow regional history and are amateur antiquarians, it's a really cool book.
He provides some spectacular images of Midwestern  landscape,architecture  and bits of history all taken from the view of a free climber where there is precious little to climb but church steeples. 
It's a wonderfully original and interesting book all by itself, and if that sort of thing interests you  I highly recommend finding and buying a copy, you won't regret it.
But that is not the point.
When I reached down to pick the book up I opened it randomly 
and this popped out.  
A record of the Ordinances regarding bicycling for the Village of Sherrard.
I refuse to believe this is coincidence.   I went to school when "Chariots of the Gods" became popular and it is clear to me that some alien life form is continually placing cycling references in my face to fuel my obsession.
What else could it be? I had an entire day without cycling in front of me then this!
Obviously a plot to divert my attention away from saving mankind by developing a strategy to thwart an intergalactic invasion .
There are forces at work here I tell you.

No comments:

Post a Comment