This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Tuesday, December 4, 2018

The boring end of biking has begun

         Thank god that's over.  You don't know what I'm talking about, but some very strange and neurotic people completely overwhelmed nearly every aspect of my life for the past few months.  They are people old enough they were never diagnosed because that area of psychology was not developed when they were young and under other people's care.   I know enough to recognize serious obsessive paranoid behavior and four of these nut bags were in the same committee driving each other to new limits of mania and screwing with me for months.  I've managed to extricate myself and can get back to my own benign manias.
      It's almost the end.  People are discussing their indoor trainer setups on Instagram and Facebook.  It's so pathetic.  One brave soul said there were still several weeks left in the season.  I mentioned there was 52 more weeks in the year to ride.  The season is just a matter of adjustment and people can't get it.
 I know this is Michigan and we get 8 feet of snow each year but it gets plowed from the streets and the cold weather gives us an opportunity to ride our butts off without sweating through our clothes.  Nobody listens, soon it will just be me and the court appointed cyclists struggling through the icy ruts on their way to the liquor stores.
I don't get a lot of riding in, but just the commuting and utility riding feeds the addiction and is a lot more fun than some computer program pretending to be a road.  It's OK, I'll just be ready with the studs and enjoy some thing like mountain biking during the cold season.  In the meantime the season of advocacy will be warming up.  Up here in the northern edge of the fly over zone, people actually try to get some things accomplished and make some infrastructure commitments happen before the spring.  All the trainer bound cyclists are organizing meeting to review the city transportation plans, organizing next year's bike week celebration, new events and routes for rides and even holding training meetings for bus drivers about yielding space for cyclists.  It's nice that all these people work so hard to create a bike friendly environment for people like me to use.



1 comment:

  1. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed this post. It's got it all. My favorite though, are the heaping scoops of irony from all the other cyclists!

    You nailed it, "The season is just a matter of adjustment".

    Well done post!

    ReplyDelete