This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Friday, October 5, 2018

An historical weekend

     It was time for a long weekend.  I wasn't in the mood for a three day bike trip but wanted to visit a couple of special sites.  I drove across the state and set up a base camp at the Pontiac state forest planning a mini spoke and hub tour.  The plan was to take a ride on Friday to a special site but it was cold, rainy and unhealthy so I just cooked dinner, had few drinks, talked to some fellow campers and crashed early.
Saturday was sunny, bright and the temps in the mid sixties which made for a pleasant day to make the wrong turn and log some extra special bonus miles over  gravel roads through a forest.  It led me on an inspiring wild goose chase extending an 18 mile into a 30 mile ride to the Michigan Renaissance Festival.
If you haven't ever been to one, a Renaissance Festival is like going to a county fair pretending to be 500 years old.  This one is well developed and collects a great crowd.
Vendors were selling all kinds of esoteric goods and jewelry imitating old stuff and fantasy.
Carnival games are built aroundthe good old days and presumed customs.
The Society for Creative Anachronism is hugely involved which explains how the costumes and characters never seem to accurately portray any particular historical period,
and how they can justify a real modern fencing tournament to go along with spear tossing and live jousting contests.
All in all it was a great afternoon.  I was well amused, ate, drank and bought some old looking stuff I really liked and didn't need before enjoying another great, but shorter, ride back to camp.
After a great day in the quasi-historical world, I went on an odessey to take the Hunqapillar to visit his presumed roots (that's right just slipping farther and farther from the real world).  The weather didn't cooperate to make the 15 to 20 mile trip but I was on a mission to unite the Hunqapillar with his history.
I drove down to the Clinton County trailway where I rode a few miles to an actual historical site where a Mastadon was discovered by the road commission.
It gave the Hunq a brief but important moment to commune with it's relative history.
I know, somebody is going to correct me
because Wooly Mammoth's and Mastadon's are not exactly the same, but they are close relatives and, hey, any excuse for a bike ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment