This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Another Warmshowers hero passed through.

  Yesterday I had the pleasure to host Linus, a young German student on his way from New York to Chicago for a few days then, onward to Portland. He is amused at the American version of cycling with expensive racing bikes that are never used for transportation.
  An hour after riding with Linus out of town on his trip to the coast, he called. In his broken English he tried to tell me his wheel was broken, there was a broken "stick" in the middle.

 I drove out to Lawton,Mi. to see if I could help. His rear axle had broken. I called Adventure cycles in Paw Paw to see if they were open, they said yes they would be there, but were not when we arrived 30 minutes later. I called Rick at Zoo City to see if they could squeeze in a quick repair for Linus. He not only found time, but replaced the axle free of charge and said he was "...just glad to be part of the adventure."

I offered to take Linus farther down the road, but Lawton was as far as he would go. He insists on pedaling all the way to Portland.
    I've heard a few people say they are reluctant to invite a stranger into their home, but I have been really pleased to meet the three travelers who contacted me through Warmshowers.org.  It was easy tell a lot about their character and personality from their bio on the site as well as the feedback left by previous hosts.  It's always inspiring to relive and share the common experience of independent travel.

No comments:

Post a Comment