This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Saturday, January 31, 2015

The genius of marketing and N+1

I was in an LBS the other day innocently admiring a new bike on the rack.
Nice 40mm semi-knobby tires and crabon frame with a woodsy green and black finish.
I remarked to the somewhat knowledgeable staff member that it was a nice cross bike.
I was immediately corrected.  It is a "gravel road bike!"
I realized my mistake immediately.

This "gravel road bike" has fenders
while this cyclo-cross bike has interrupter levers.

Neither are to be confused with this humble hybrid which has semi-straight handlebars
and a humbler price tag to match.  Yes, they are accommodating the whims of the consumer and filling our garages to satisfy the mathematical truth governing our avocation.
Lately in the news another bike hater has been accosted.  She has become remorseful over the publicity and everybody will no doubt feel sorry for this pathetic old woman who looks like our grandmothers and was only trying to protect the dogs. 

 She does look old and pathetic and it would be easy to forget that her malicious booby traps could easily have caused the death of an unsuspecting cyclist trying to enjoy recreation in a safe environment.  That could have been me!
She's a year older than I am.  I say fuck that bitch! 
 Put her under house detention for attempted murder until she withers and  dies. 
Our local transportation organization has sent a monkey around with a survey to give us all a chance to speak out about transportation priorities in the coming years.
Unlike many cyclists, I think cars are unnecessary in a municipal environment.  
I voted for non-motorized traffic across the board and in my comments reminded them that the United Nations committee had completed a 27 year study which concluded fossil fuels must be eliminated from use before the year 2100 to avoid permanent environmental damage. 
 I feel that the only responsible action any governmental body can take 
is whatever will discourage and reduce auto use.  

Then I ran across this encouraging article about cities that have transformed to "car light" zones.

No comments:

Post a Comment