This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Friday, October 10, 2014

I jumped the electric fence.

 I decided it was time to add a dynohub to Byron.  Two things brought this on. 
First of all Busch & Mueller have produced a light with automatic daytime driving light features.
The diagram provided above shows the angle of beam changing from the eyes of oncoming traffic in the daytime, to the pavement at night.  The change is automatic by means of a photo sensitive switch integrated into the EYC Senso + headlight.  The reflective "beard" is included to satisfy German law, It can be removed it you don't like it, I don't care, so I left it.
  Second: Dyno hubs are getting pretty good without being awfully pricey.  I found that a $50 Sanyo dynohub produces only .5 watts additional  drag over the the best Schmidt hub when engaged.
The drag is there, it's measurable, but not really a problem for me in stop and go city use. 
 In this application I would be using it all the time 
and didn't care that the 
cheaper hub created a
 butt load more drag when not being used.
A lot of people complain about the crappy looking wiring all over their beautiful, concourse quality bike.  Above is a photo of Byron at 10 feet showing all the disarray created by the wiring from the hub to the headlight back to the tail light.  I know where the wires are and can't find them. 
 I ordered the wheel from Peter White who built a solid 36 H Velocity Synergy wheel on the Sanyo Hub . The entire system; custom built wheel, dyno hub, headlight, tail light, and shipping was around $375.  That's not a bad upgrade for a system to be used all day every day.   The application of a daytime driving light for a city bike does make the dyno hub a more practical producer of power.  Some randonneurs may like dyno hubs for reliable power, 
but I think a tire driven dyno is the
 best tech for occasional use.  
 I will stick to the tire driven dyno for touring on my Hunq..  

No comments:

Post a Comment