This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Saturday, June 28, 2014

When will it not be impressive?

I don't know where that photo came from but whoever did it--got it!
I was at the Home Depot a few days ago and ran into a fellow cyclist who told me he was impressed that I  rode  "even to Home Depot."   We joked that it was easy, they have delivery if I buy something too big to carry.  The truth was I was shopping, not buying.    I went to a cycling event last year (not a ride) and another enthusiast looked at my Hillborne and asked what it was.  
Not too offended to spit out the obvious--BICYCLE!
  I was understanding and explained that for lack of a better definition it would be a light touring bike.
Being one who only had experience in the realm of club riding she looked at it and ran her hand gingerly across the leather grip and asked (with rather vacant and confused eyes)  "Is this a REAL touring bike?   Can...you, like...go places on it?"  Ignoring the obvious and insulting answer that 
I had gone somewhere to get there,
 I said "Yeah, I go places on it."  
 God bless them, I spent a day with this group of advocates

 to help build a more bike friendly community.  They are developing routes and infrastructure, city managers and political luminaries (shining dimly in a small mid western town) are all working across jurisdictions to develop a coordinated route system.
I was impressed that there were a lot of bike racks on the cars in the lot. 
 Mine was the only bike, but there were a lot of racks on the cars. 
 I'm sure they had some good reason, like you know, they have to wear clothes and stuff.
It's June and it's been the end of April since I used my car.  Everybody who knows me knows that.  
When will it cease to be a question?  When I teach, a student will always ask, the answer is the same.   
At meetings of the cycling club, I am typically the only one on two wheels.  
When will it be commonplace to ride a bike?  How many MTPs bike lanes and routes must be planned. 
I have a solution, make parking illegal on city streets.  
People will have incentive to use bikes, since there'd be few parking spaces.  There would be plenty of roadway for safety with no cars parked.  Instead of looking for ways to apply for grants and donations, 
we'd be wondering what to do with the extra cash on hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment