This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Friday, August 30, 2013

Security enhancements/fun with inflatables

We live in a frightening world.  One where bicycles are taken from us.  The monetary loss is horrendous but the emotional toll involved is crushing.  After developing a personal relationship with each component and the myriad decisions we make it's understandable.   After all, when you hold something that closely between your legs for years, you grow rather fond of it.Occasionally you hear of a happy ending after somebody has lost a loved one, but usually it's just pain.
 It's hard not to get emotional, but our fear has made the lock industry proud.
 Here is what I depend upon as a matter of review:
The lightweight cable lock, good for practically nothing, a glorified pair of scissors will beat it,  but seems to deter completely honest people from stealing something they didn't want.  
The Ring Lock, attaches to the frame, you can't forget it,  and prevents the casual ride-away.  Not bad, it adds about a pound to the frame which you would carry in your pocket, it can be supplemented with a cable or chain and only a grinder will get through it.
The trusy U-Lock.  The choice of professional messengers, again impervious to anything but a grinder, I use it in high crime neighborhoods and any strange town. It's about two lbs to put in your pocket and help expose your butt crack to the world.
The Abus Bordo, link lock.  I've seen reports that this has worn out grinder wheels.  It has a holster to mount on the frame, and it better because it weighs 4 lbs.  I take it to any strange city, on long tours when weight is not a question and, in Chicago I use it in conjunction with a Ring and/or U Lock.   It makes me feel good, unless I am pedaling uphill.
I understand that the Boston Police have instituted a new program, the cardboard cop.
Don't even snicker, this is real.  I didn't see it on my recent trip, but they say theft has gone down 67% since these things have been set up.  It's an important step.  Obviously it would be difficult to carry a life size cardboard cop with you, but there could be options.
 Well, raiding your sister's doll collection might not be the answer, 
 but who can forget the fun we have with inflatables.
There are lots of options, 
but this one sends a real message:
Don't Fuck with My Bike!
The owner of this bike is a sociopath!



No comments:

Post a Comment