This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

"I grow old, I grow old, I wear the bottoms of my trousers "...clipped with reflectors!

     During my trip to the Rifle River I ran into a moment of reflection which was sobering a midst the chaotic partying.  The group I was with were a varied group of married or divorced parents I know from my son's Scout troop.   Every year we get together somewhere without the children for a weekend.  As you might expect, the age ranges between a woman in her late 30's to myself, the oldest at 60.
     One evening the conversation turned to someone's ailments.  It began to escalate from one to another and another.   Accounts of migraine treatment, blood sugar levels, aches, arthritis, insulin injections, this operation, bowel problems, urinary infections, gout,that operation, grey hair, wrinkles, sleep disorders, cancer, smoking,  general weakness and aging.  The conversation became a lengthy comparative study of pharmaceuticals.  Each of them had a list of preferences which revolved around the choice between one side effect or another.
      My mind drifted a little and went back to a day in my twenties.  I had sworn not to let myself physically deteriorate as I aged.  I had seen many people retire quite handsomely from the business world who were unable to enjoy it because the sedentary lifestyle had taken it's toll.  At that time, my thinking was simple, when I had an opportunity to go climbing in the Alps or ride across Mongolia, I wasn't going to miss the chance because I had neglected my body.  I looked at that group of people, and saw the life I had avoided.  Endless days spent going from the breakfast table, to the car, to the office, to the car to the dinner table, to the sofa to bed.  I had sworn not to live that way.
    Cycling has been major preventative therapy as has weight lifting and some sensible eating habits.
    One woman noticed the stare on my face and said:  "Marc, You haven't said anything in awhile."
    I replied :  "I really have nothing to contribute, ah well, I had a cold a few years ago."

2 comments:

  1. At 46, I've also noticed (just this year) how often the conversation with older people can turn to health issues. Thankfully, I can't relate well (like you).

    Thanks for the reminder to keep on peddling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's truly amazing the number of people who suffer obesity, high blood pressure and diabetes. All three could be easily prevented by leaving the car keys at home.

    ReplyDelete