This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Obsessives in the making

About a week ago, I had the pleasure to help our local club contribute to a bike safety roadeo.  It was a pretty large event conducted in a church parking lot
where local shops had volunteered mechanics to tune up children's bikes, we had volunteered to properly fit each child with a new free helmet which had been donated.   

I personally assembled the helmets, fitting the visor to front of each.  If you have never done it on a massive scale, the exercise is a bit like having a lobotomy.  After the fifth one, I stood, stared, kinda lost track of what I was doing, where and who I was.
I was a little concerned about parking my bike but
one of the local police assured me that it might be alright,
 this time.  
After having their bikes adjusted, tuned up, being outfitted with a shiny new brain bucket
and high visibility t-shirt,
local police reviewed the rules of the road with the kids before setting them loose 
over a sprawling course set up to guide the youngsters through a maze of traffic situations.
Anxious mothers either walked along
or suffered on the sidelines while a hundred or more learned to negotiate a virtual streetscape.
(I was just interrupted by my son, a college senior, who wanted to know if his Brooks wind jacket looked ok with Pearl Izumi gloves.  I told him to add some cologne and assured him he was a chick magnet.  Should I warn the mothers or let the kids drag them into the abyss of  cycling obsession?)
The participants ranged from teens to toddlers and the it was a pretty impressive attempt to educate the youth about safety on the streets.   The city had donated 20 or more police  for the event and local businesses had donated snacks and food for the participants.
 I was impressed that a couple kids tried to politely return the helmets and were thrilled to find out they could keep them.  It was a very productive morning,
hook 'em while they're young!

No comments:

Post a Comment