This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Finally found them!

This should not be a big deal, but it is.  About 5 years ago I started looking for a regular pair of cycling gloves made from a hi-vis fabric.  I looked and looked and found nothing.  There were several winter gloves but no summer ones.  I wrote to customer service at TREK and asked if they made them.  The response I got was jubilant and encouraging.  They said "I can't believe we never thought of that!   I'll turn it over to our apparel division immediately and stay in touch."  I fully expected some communication, or maybe a gift certificate good for a free Madone or something, you know.
That was 5 years ago, and apparently "hi-vis" means grey at TREK.
I've brought the subject up with every bike store owner I come across, everybody says it's a no brainer.  
Making a hi-vis glove just makes sense for hand signalling.
Well apparently it makes too much sense, because the only ones I could find are made by Pearl Izumi.
I found that on a website a couple of years ago.  I asked an LBS about them and was told they used to have some, but they didn't sell so they never re-ordered them.  Well that begged the question, "Where are they?"
If nobody buys them, they must be here somewhere, right?
It must have finally gotten into somebodies head 'cause I found them on the rack this year.

I find it really hard to believe that something that simple and obvious is overlooked by everybody.
These show up so much better in traffic than a bare hand or a blue or red one.
Oh well, maybe it's just me.

No comments:

Post a Comment