This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Getting in touch with whoknowswhat

It was the Memorial Day weekend and in between some incredible (by Michigan standards)heat there were a few events to note.  The Bike Camp on Saturday turned into a maintenance training session.  A good two hours was spent with campers and club members discussing the basics of the machine and the ride was very judiciously canceled because of thunderstorms in the area.
Between the war movie reruns on the tube, I went out in some really steamy heat to play in the dirt.  I made another attempt at the Ft Custer mountain bike trails.  I am getting a bit more confidence and, having installed the "thumbies" on the top of my bar,

 the Hunq handles much  more like a mountain bike.  I found myself missing gears on a few hills and walking, but overall I was more better.  I decided to start rating my rides in the woods and this one was a "10."  It wasn't great, but my feet only had to be put on the ground 10 times.  I have a golf mentality so I will be shooting for a lower score each time out with the goal to be completion of the 25 mile trails system without really needing to put my feet down except to take a chosen break.  Hopefully I'll be up for the challenge and get out to master this area of the sport so I can feel confident taking an off road tour sometime in the future.
  Lately  I've been wanting a bike to fill the gap between my Trek roadie and the Hunq.  I looked at many current hybrid and cross bikes and many attracted me.  The Surly Cross Check makes a lot of sense, but I also saw a few (dare I say it) aluminum frames that I liked.   I started accumulating parts for a build several months ago.   I bought up a few things I needed when they were on sale and contemplated the bike.  I considered  the Velo-Orange Rando, it's marked down to $500 but only accommodates 28mm tires with fenders.  I also thought about the Rivendell's Homer Hilson, but that would take a while since $2000 is more than I wanted to spend--right now.  Then the fairies answered again.  Rivendell announced a new shipment of Sam Hillborne's which would have a fancier, more expensive paint job.  Mm mm, that meant I could get the geometry I have learned to love on the Hunq in a lighter faster and still versatile bike.  They offered it at the current price, if you pre-ordered a frame.  That would be 17% lower than the new price after arrival and essentially we got the fancy paint job for free!   That made my inner consumer sing; click, click and I am watching the delivery status from UPS more carefully than the stock market.  It should be here tomorrow or Thursday, Yippee!

No comments:

Post a Comment