This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

This inexplicable winter

I went on a search for eagles.   
No, this is not a high flung metaphoricalpersonalgrowthconquestandaccomplishment post.  Somebody Facebooked me and and said there were a few eagles in the area, so I took advantage of this incredible weather and took a ride out to the area where they had been sighted.  It was a great ride out to the lake and country club where I had grown up, but I found no eagles.    I did find this rather imposing population of Canadian geese which had taken over the remaining ice on the lake.  I got some sort of picture with my cell phone.  There must have been three or more flocks, quite a gaggle, who seemed to be waiting for something.  They must have been confused by the warm weather and were reconnoitering before continuing their journey south, so I just sat for a while and listened to them.
"Is this Tennessee? It doesn't feel like Tennessee."
"I remember this taking longer."
"George is not flying point again today that's final!"
"Today, Today!  It's too damn hot to fly today!"
"Does anybody know where we are?"
"This does not look right."
"George is definitely not flying point..."

2 comments:

  1. Just guessing...Lake Bracken?

    I have seen bald eagles at Lake Storey and also between Monmouth and G'burg.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that was Lake Bracken. I am surprised at the eagle sitings, I would think they'd stay closer to the river.

    Marc

    ReplyDelete