This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Beautiful day for fixie encounter

I don't know about the rest of the country but the weather here in Michigan was made for cycling.
A few days of cool rain has given way the warm dry days that lead to fall colors here in the midwest.
Some of the trees are starting to come out with their colors and I stopped a moment to get a shot of these
and was passed by that green dot you see.  He was riding a fixie, I judged by lack of a rear brake.


Well, he got away ahead of me while I fiddled with my camera, but I hustled on down the road
so I could see what he was riding.
I wasn't disappointed for my efforts.  John  is a local who said he rides his fixie 15 miles or so a couple times a week.   He doesn't know the brand on the bike but he picked it up at Goodwill for
(are you ready?)
$20.
This can't be real. The only thing he changed since he bought it was the handlebars.
Twenty bucks, you're kidding.  The stem is worth twice that.  
When he got it he stripped an ugly paint job off but found no original underneath 
to tell him what it was.

This interesting lugwork should be a clue to set it in the 60's or 70's but I have never seen anything like it.
Any clues out there?
It feels nearly as light as my Trek with Reynolds tubing.
I still can't get over it, twenty bucks!

No comments:

Post a Comment