This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Out of the comfort zone

   I went to a local rally of recumbent bike riders today.  It would seem a little out of my league with the reputation I have for being a bit of Retro-Grouch, but I have always looked at recumbent bikes with interest and the expectation that I will want one someday, when I'm old and rickety, maybe.
Although there weren't a lot of people there, I was impressed with the selection of bikes available to sample.
From long touring frames, to traditional tricycles, 
newer trikes
and a lot of variations on the theme.

They were all available to try and, with the help of a friend I managed my first ride.  It was like being
six years old again in the back yard.   I boarded on and started down hill with him pushing until I coordinated 
the balance and pedaling.  In no time I  was circling the parking lot and trying the different brands and styles.
    It's not quite like riding a lawn chair, but pretty close.  The comfort level is hard to match, even on the shorter wheelbase models.   My favorites are the new trikes which handle with extreme quickness and make really agile turns compared to the traditional trikes which seem unstable turning at speed.  Somebody likened them to riding a go-kart with their low center of gravity and two front wheels.  I'd be a little anxious of these in traffic since they are so low and, having been hit by a car in the past, I like the idea of ending up on the hood rather than under a wheel.
   There were some interesting configurations like the bike E,

with it's suspended rear wheel.
One of my favorite of the bike models was this folder belonging to my friend Paul.
This model is no longer in production but he has two, one for him and one for his wife.  Not only were they made with two identical wheels ( a big plus in the recumbent world), 
after he folds them up

both will fit in the rear of the Prius you see in the background.  They make great traveling bikes.
     Something like this is in my future I know, and probably should be in all of ours.  I'll play hard to get though, I'm holding out for a folding single speed fixie trike with a lugged steel frame.  
Yeah, that's my excuse.

No comments:

Post a Comment