This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Sunday, August 7, 2011

"Steel Wheels" keep on rollin'

   You might think you've got an obssession with bikes and touring, but how many of take commuting that seriously?  These guys are a bluegrass band who travel all over the world

and make a point of commuting from gig to gig by bike with all their instruments loaded when possible.  I knew they were going to be in town and after stretching my legs for about 30 miles in the morning, I ran across them filling up the parking lot at Bell's Brewery.

They were scheduled here for a Saturday night gig and travel out again on Sunday.  Look around and you find quite an assortment of loading styles, a couple of burley trailers, an extracycle, a Big Dummy, a Lemond and a couple Surly LHT's.  I assume the cases themselves had to be custom made from waterproof material, but never got a chance to ask
A few of the guys were salivating over my Rivendell Hunqapillar until I got upstaged by
 
an innocent passerby who unwittingly took the conversation to a whole new level with the possibility of their bikes spooning also.  You think you have issues?  Be in a band on the road!.
   To say the least, these are a nice group of people and we talked bikes for quite while before we parted for lunch.  I was interested to see if their music was as good as it sounded on their website and made their show that evening.
   They were great on stage, kickin' out well written, rockin' folk music and it was even more amazing to know they had carried all that equipment

between gigs by bike. It's probably good that bluegrass doesn't necessarily demand a drum kit, that would have been a sight traveling by bike.     I stayed through most of their first set, but realized they didn't start work until after my bedtime.  I made it home through the dark city streets before midnight feeling content to have found someone with a similar brand of insanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment