This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Friday, August 5, 2011

A club ride with the "Semi-Elegant Trek"

   Since I don't do anything else with my road bike, I use it for a club ride two, maybe three times a month.  The ride I choose is a fairly flat one, with older club members who are able to keep up while I suck on their wheels.  It's a good thing to do, because it makes me ride faster than I would normally choose when I ride alone.
    Last night was a particularly great night to go, the temp was in the mid 80's with little wind or humidity.  I pumped up the tires and loaded the new classic onto the car to go out and meet the group.

I had fine tuned it, test ridden it, and adjusted the fenders the day before so I was all ready.  The only question was, "How long before one of the spandex hamsters asked me how much the fenders weighed?"  I was watching the clock  to see how long it took.
   There always seems to be a different group when I go on Thursdays, and one consistent ride leader/couple who ride a Co-Motion tandem.  We were waiting for people to arrive and chit-chatting.  One rider was asking about my bike, looking over  the lugwork and reminiscing about his '83 Trek 720 and 

(Gratuitous photo of girl on a bike)
 I thought he would be the one.  When suddenly;
PHSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.....PSSSSSSSSS 
my bike was obviously farting.  I stared down, and surely enough, I wasn't imagining it, my tire was going flat.
Now I have had one flat with Panaracer tires since I switched to them 5 years ago, that was a classic snakebite sidewall blowout after hitting a pothole at 20+ mph.  What in the name of  Moses causes a blowout while standing perfectly stationary, an hour or so after pumping up the tires?  We all stood kind of stunned and stared.  After a few moments of denial, I put the bike up on the rack of my car, told them to go ahead and get started.  I figured I could catch up by cutting through the route.
     After removing the tire, I found nothing to have caused a puncture.  I was a little reluctant to put a new tube in (after all something caused it, and could again right?) but went ahead, pumped it up and hit the road. 
        Long story short; I tried backtracking the route, thinking I'd double back with them when we bumped into each other, but I missed a turn, ended up going the wrong way, missed them entirely and had a wonderful ride out by myself, all the time wondering, "will I be stuck with a flat and no spare next to a lonely menacing buffalo?"(I'm not crazy,there's a farm with them en route).
   Nothing like that happened, I arrived at the beginning as the last few were reloading their bikes.  We talked briefly about the incident, a couple people asked about the fenders and totally disappointed me.  Not a weight wienie in the bunch.  Oh well, maybe next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment