This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Chrome Shoes revisited

Back in November I bought a pair of Chrome shoes.  I like the slip-on design they produced and the bag my son had really impressed me.  Another thing that impressed me in a good and bad way was the review they published on their website.  The first one complained about the durability and low quality of the product.   The fact that they published that review on their site impressed me with their integrity and courage.   I ordered a pair of Tobruk for myself and my son.
They fit great and the stiff shank in the sole made them perfect for riding of all kinds.  They are comfortable for walking but don't shed water well and, when they are wet, they really, really make an embarrassing squeaky noise on tile.
   But I thought I would address the durability of the shoe.  I've worn mine, nearly every day since I bought them in November.  They are dirty, I haven't washed them, I did put a new insole in them but other than that mine show no wear at all.  Bear in mind, they were exposed to the weather all through a Michigan winter where we deal with every kind of slop, salt and chemical treatment available.
The canvas looks great, the trim, which many people complained about
is still perfect all around the shoe and the sole shows no sign of wear.
I think they are remarkable shoes, I weigh 215 on my better days(hence the new insole) and remember these have been worn nearly every day for 6 months.
Contrast this to the ones from one of the guys at the LBS
the heels on his are worn and falling apart.  He has  no explanation, doesn't do anything else in them and didn't even wear them in particularly bad weather.
I've been impressed enough with my experience to order a pair of the Kursk pro their new shoe which accommodates SPD cleats.  I hope to have the same experience with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment