This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Monday, January 10, 2011

Snowy weekend

      The Scout weekend was tiring and a bit of fun.  Friday night we were getting an inch of snow per hour as the lake effect machine kicked in.  It was slow going in 1st and 2nd gear with that kind of slop on the road during rush hour traffic.  The 10 mile trip out to the cabin still only took 45 minutes and I was the first to arrive.   The camp ranger was curious about the tires I was using and how well the studs worked out.  When everybody else started to arrive I got to listen to the amusing comments , "d'ya lose your license? Did anybody tell you it was snowing?"  and my all time favorite, the one asked in a moment of privacy so I don't get embarrassed: "No, really, where did you park your car?"  After a few of the kids fell into amazement over the studded snow tires, and "look-the light lights up when the wheel spins," we settled in for the night.
  Saturday was spent in a valiant but futile attempt at icefishing, and who wants to sit around on a block of ice all day?  So a broomball game broke out.

For those who are unfamiliar, broomball is like field hockey played on a frozen lake with brooms, and, you guessed it--a ball!  I suppose there are rules but the only one I remember is that we get 5 points for a goal and the other team gets a 1/2 point, beyond that I forget.
     After cleaning all the imaginary fish we didn't catch, the evening was spent in typical Michigander style; not playing with a full deck (Euchre).



While one boy sat imagining bike adventures.  Maybe a future convert!

No comments:

Post a Comment