This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The sacrifices I make....

     I lost most of yesterday to a new toy. I bought a Samsung galaxy pad and spent most of the day trying to figure out how it works.  You know how it goes, you buy a new gadget and all those programs and applications that were so familiar now seem like they came from a sci-fi movie.   Well anyway, I got frustrated and rode out to the grocery to load up and stopped at the local bar (Hooters) to refresh my attitude
 before I went back to try it some more.
     At the bar, one of the managers sat down for a while to talk about cycling.  She said that she and her husband had moved to town, noticed the trail system and all the bike lanes and routes and had meant to do a lot of cycling.  Sadly, she admitted that her bike was still in the closet where it had been put during the move.  She really wanted to know what keeps me motivated to ride, she sees me all over town, in any weather and can't really seem to get "the time" to go out and ride.    I explained that is the common problem because bikes are not considered transportation but recreational,  I only "get motivated" because I have a destination and use the bike whenever I don't specifically need the car.  After a while you find out that you don't really need the car for very much.  Of course her eyes lit up when I told her that I estimate that I have saved more than $140,000 since I was in college and that made it worth putting up with all the dumb comments and insulting questions that everyday cyclists face.
      I hope she takes the advice and starts using her bike more.  She could set a good example for her employees, help to preserve a lot of beauty in the world, we may see more of this
on the street in the future.   Ah yes, another great day, here I go on my mission changing the world one Hooters girl at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment