This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Winter road and trail maintenance

     Well the winter is deep upon us but even though we here in Michigan are waaaay behind on snowfall, I'm even afraid to go to the ski slopes, there's nothing but artificial.   We had warm wet day yesterday and the  humidity and dropping temperatures left the trees full of beautiful hoarfrost
which disappeared with the morning sun.
     Recently I lobbied opinions from other areas about the road conditions and maintenance in other areas, I think we are lucky here, the streets themselves are cared for pretty well

and I think the parks department even make an effort to keep the MUP's cleared to a certain extent,
but the lack of traffic leaves them with an unpredictable crust of icy ruts and and packed snow. Today I was the only cyclist using the local paths among a few joggers, dogwalkers and a few of these guys
who found a place in the middle of the city to survive the hunting season.  Smart, hiding in plain sight,
Really smart!

No comments:

Post a Comment