This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Monday, November 15, 2010

Seasonal changes

Each of the past couple years, I make a serious change when daylight savings ends and begins.  I suppose most cyclists just put the bikes away and wait for spring.  I change my city bike from the Raleigh Mixte I have been riding to a Jamis Commuter.  The Commuter is a stout, aluminum framed town bike which will withstand the mud, slush, salt and chemicals we deal with in Michigan.  While I prefer an elegant lugged steel bike, like the Raleigh

it makes more sense to swap the wheels and Shimano Nexus drivetrain back to the Commuter for the winter.
    I like the mixte frame design, with it's downsloped top tubes, so much I decided to buy a new one this year with some "extra" money I had.  There are 3 companies making them in larger sizes which will better fit men now: Rivendell, Velo Orange and Soma.   The Rivendell is the most expensive and best looking, but the size that fits me (57-59 cm) is spec'd for 650B wheels, since I had wheels in 700c I intended to use I looked at the VO and Soma.  I didn't care much for the color of the VO frame and they sold out of the 57 cm model so I ordered the Soma Buena Vista frame in Metallic Grey.

 There were a lot of parts I used on the Raleigh that I liked, so, since it was a blustery, rainy day and I had nowhere to go, I spent a little time raiding the Raleigh for parts I intend to use in the spring.

After removing and cleaning what I needed I simply dropped them into the bottom of the Soma box for storage until spring.

Now with that tucked away for the winter, I hung the remaining frame up in the garage where it will wait for somebody a little smaller who will fit it more comfortably.
I'll have another more detailed post about the mixte in the future.  It's a design that goes back to France during the Nazi occupation and is enjoying a renewed use as a city/touring design.  A lot of men shy away from the design since it resembles a "woman's" frame but I think it's great and riding one hasn't affected my hormone levels a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment