This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Tuesday, May 25, 2021

You just can't keep things nice.

 You ever notice how stuff breaks when you use it?  It's really an annoyance.  You get a bike all set up the way you want, something goes wrong.  Sometimes it's a little thing, sometimes it's a big thing, sometimes it's all at once, or at least it seems to be.

The really little thing was a puncture but it shows how effective Flat Attack tubes can be.  I've been using them for about 5 years and have only had 3 flats on the road in that time.  What usually happens is (like other tubes)  you get a slight puncture, don't notice it, then the tire is almost flat the next morning.  With the Flat Attack tubes, putting more air in reveals the hole as the green goo comes bubbling out.  That's it, pump it up, give it a spin and it holds air again.  
     But then, I went out for a short ride to make sure the sealant got swished around properly and THIS Happened!


What the hell!  I've only been putting about 4-5,000 miles a year on it in the past 8!  How could this go wrong?  Well it did.  I was lucky to be within coasting range of a bar so I had a good place to think about it.  The bartender knew me as a notable eccentric and one of "those bike guys," she wasn't surprised that I asked for duct tape to go with my beer.  


They found some.  I was able to put it into place, hold the saddlebag and most importantly protect my bum in case of a mishap.  I couldn't sit on it on the way home, but at least I wouldn't end up with a seat post stuck in my rectum if anything went awry.  The tire held air quite well by the way.   



6 comments:

  1. Brooks rails can be replaced! Odd that the rails would break at the back end of the clamp. Was the back bolt of the seatpost chronically loose?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to look at repairing it, but have already taken the consumerist solution and ordered a new one. I think, no I know I came down hard on it after an unexpected bump last week. I suspect I cracked one of the rails. About a mile before this happened the seat felt "soft." I think one rail was cracked, gave way and the other couldn't maintain.

      Delete
  2. Brooks rails can be replaced! Odd that the rails would break at the back end of the clamp. Was the back bolt of the seatpost chronically loose?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brooks rails can be replaced! Odd that the rails would break at the back end of the clamp. Was the back bolt of the seatpost chronically loose?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard that Brooks rails can be replaced.

    ReplyDelete