This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Wednesday, June 2, 2021

A Blue day after breaking my Brooks


      So, I managed to break a Brooks saddle.  I've been doing business with Rivendell for a long time and while perusing their website for a replacement saddle

                             
I realized they would not put this particular saddle color on their website for no reason.  
   This is probably it.  
It certainly compliments the blue they used on my Hillborne and their current A. Homer Hilson blue also.   I've run across several people traveling with the C17 models on touring bikes who have nothing but great things to say about them.  I have a C19 on my Brompton and am really happy with it.  They're not leather and time will tell if a synthetic Brooks is really as good as a pliable piece of leather under my butt.  Anybody who owns a couple Riv's knows there is value to aesthetics.  What the Hell!
      I have also managed to wear a hole in one spot of the leather wrap on the handle bars, so it made sense to take care of that while I was wrenching away.
      Rather than try to search for another (reasonably priced) leather wrap, I decided to coordinate further. Rather than remove the leather, I used it as a base to create a cushier feel and wrapped a layer of cloth tape over it, finished it off with two coats of clear shellac for waterproofing and make it easier to keep clean, 
Eh Voila!
I know, it's a whole lotta blue that doesn't really "match," but the sky has different shades of blue most days.  I'm kinda looking at my bike like a Monet, with everything light can do to shades of blue.  I know it's kinda lame, but that's how I'm rationalizing it.   Like Grant Peterson said, "...a rolling work of art that just could save the world."







 

No comments:

Post a Comment