This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Saturday, May 28, 2022

New Brooks stuff

     A few weeks ago I learned that Brooks makes a bar tape that matches the Cambrium saddle I have on my Sam.  
That became an immediate priority.   Searching frantically through the supply chain issues on the Interweb, I discovered one pack at a shop in the backcountry of Great Britain.   Never being a practical sort where cycle fashion is involved,  I ordered and waited.  And waited.  After a week,  it was traced as far as customs in London, nothing changed for two weeks until it showed up at my door.  Checking  the Interweb, a detailed trace of every stop between me and London appeared.  So much for modern logistics. 
     I was excited to remove the faded cloth tape and apply the new fancy stuff.   I have Brooks leather tape on my '87 Trek so I know they produce quality to last.  The Cambrium tape is a rubber product that promises to be all weather comfort like the saddle.  Wrapping it was a bitch of a job.  The Bosco bars have more and sharper bends than most and the tape has very thick padding.  With the rubbery finish, I felt I was wrestling a live eel into submission. 
     The result disappointed my bike fashionista sensibilities because there were bulges and bumps where I didn't want them.   But, it didn't look terrible.   I rode around with it for a few days and it felt like nothing I had ever had in my hand.  The padding absorbs vibration, the finish has a very smooth and pliable feel. 
     Despite the obscene memory of the wrestling match and a few unwanted bulges,  I ordered some in black for my Soma mixte.   The black color was easy to get right here in the states.  With the more regular bends and lacking levers and knobs, results were better, with less effort. 
Obviously, I learned to love it in a very short time.   Being a Brooks product, I expect it to last forever.  I think it would be better with, perhaps, a bit less padding. 

No comments:

Post a Comment