This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Saturday, November 21, 2020

Only 20 miles?

      While I have been privately and publicly bemoaning the crippled nature of my life with a sore foot (they say it takes months to heal the abuse I gave it on the golf course, of all places), I've felt sorry for myself having to moderate my bike riding.  I've found it best to limit myself to utilitarian rambles around town, and a 15-20 mile ride a few times a week.  I haven't been able to maintain my normal 15-20 miles a day with metric centuries thrown in the mix on a regular basis.  I discovered hope and validation in this article from Outside Magazine.  The author makes a good case for the idea that 20 miles is the best bike ride.  His main argument is that it saves time and works into any busy schedule. 


      Aside from feeling personally vindicated, I like the thought and think most people should subscribe to the logic.  On the other hand, he overlooked the best time saving technique.  Rather than taking time out from your daily routine, make it part of your daily routine by going places on your bike.   The simple act of commuting to work every day (in the before times) automatically added 12 miles of bike riding into my schedule and it was always easy to extend that by riding a few extra miles after work just because, or to get something at a store.  Sometimes I'd choose a store on the other side of town, just because.
      The idea always meets with silent opposition because people have cars and those cars have social value derived from 70 or 80 years of aggressive advertising focused upon appearance. We have been taught that the car is the social denominator.  Obsequious to the whims of Madison Avenue,  people don't want to be without their rolling calling card.  Adding a bike, on a rack, on the top, is even better.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about your injury but happy that you're getting in a few miles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it's getting better, the winter will actually help since I spend more time off my feet.

      Delete