This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Another decade down.

  ... and I don't feel any older.  Most people don't think I look much older either, I think cycling has kept the scars on the inside.   It seems that I did hardly any cycling because I took no week long trips this past year.  That is how I have come to measure my life.  Family and personal life can interfere and hopefully the spell that was dry of adventure is behind me and I can move ahead.  Things progressed despite  lacking long distance travel and riding daily was still the norm.  Although I did rack up more drive time it was still only 3K miles and much less than anybody I know.  
      I noticed that last year I started by talking about the regional map of commuter routes proposed here.  I am pleased that it has been accepted by all the municipalities involved.
What is more important is that all but the largest two have committed to having the signage in place before the end of 2020.  Let's keep our fingers crossed and hope they succeed despite the bureaucratic morass they face.  
It will be the first such commuter network
 I have heard of in this country, maybe it'll set a trend.  
      The most interesting group ride I encountered all year was the memorial ride for Randy Smolinski a former frame builder from Grand Rapids.  His work is still beautiful and the ride brought together classic bike enthusiasts from the upper Midwest. 
      I received an e-mail from David Haywood late in the summer.  He completed circumnavigating the globe by bicycle.  He had stayed with me one night in October 2018 as a Warmshowers guest.  I was just glad to be part of it all.  Good luck David, I'm sure you will make the rest of your life an adventure. 
      The only other notable event in my most boring year of cycling yet, was THAT DAY.  One 24 hour period when just too damn much happened.  It all ended up for the better.  I now have a bike that can survive the Michigan winters better, a lighter quicker commuter and, after weeks of considering carlessness, an Italian/American sports car that is a butt load more fun to drive when I rarely do.

Oh yeah, with the time off the adventure road, I wrote a book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment