This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Monday, December 16, 2019

Just another NBD.

      Dealing with stressful situations is a challenge to us all.  The best thing to do is get a new bike.  The Giant mountain bike was not a reasonable solution to the loss of the Soma Buena Vista.  The Giant came off the shelf, ready to ride, and didn't really satisfy the "tinkering" hanker from which I suffer severely.   I really loved the mixte but I have to admit that I had it highly over geared.  I really didn't use it as extensively as I imagined when I built it. I toyed with the idea of buying another, but by mid November had convinced myself I'd done enough and would just be guilty of over biking.  Then, I received an e-mail from Soma offering 20% off on everything.  Don't you hate it when they do that?  I really had talked myself out of it, but had no choice when faced with $110 savings.  The day you don't shop is the day you don't save, right? Well hell, there I was, and they make it in red.  We all know red bikes are faster.  There was really no choice.
      I built it leaner, basically raiding the parts bin for stuff I hadn't used on other ideas.   A left over pair of wheels with a 7 speed "mega range" freewheel works with a single ring FSA crankset and will get me around as well as the Nuvinci hub which suffered from extra weight and less efficiency (although I still loved the Nuvinci).  I put a lot of unused parts to good use and spent less than $700 out of pocket.  The end result was a fun commuter which can be mounted easily when towing the new grocery trailer.   After all the crap, another NBD! 

1 comment: