This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Saturday, August 17, 2019

A better workout.

          I've never really been much for the electronic gizmos.  I used to have a Cateye thing and a mileage goal, but when it became obvious that gas would be over $2 a gallon for eternity,I decided to stop participating in the fraud and bought another bike for commuting/utility riding.  I was passing my mileage goal in May of each year and ditched the computer.  Things have evolved and GPS became a part of every spandex hamster's kit.  I think that Strava is great for the compulsive competitor and will probably save many people from gambling addiction, but I've no use for it.
         My son boughta Fitbit for me a few years ago and I do use it.  It's basically a heart rate monitor but it extrapolates a great deal of information.  I like the way it tracks my calorie usage and monitors my sleep.  It also tells me when I have been riding my bike, which brought up an interesting comparison the other day.
         I took a ride on my Sam Hillborne, a 24 lb everyday all purpose ride. and a couple days later rode the same route on my Hunqapillar, a 40 lb all-terrain touring bike.  As you can see from my cute little Fitbit app, I used up nearly 60% more calories on the Hunq.
         The life lesson here is:  If you want a better workout, ride a heavier bike.

1 comment:

  1. I have a really heavy bike that I ride when I'm doing a video of a bike event. It has electric assist that allows me to keep my calories.

    ReplyDelete