This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Sunday, August 20, 2017

The Cure for City Fever S480

     It was Grant Peterson of Rivendell Bikes who coined the phrase S240 to describe the overnight camping trip.  His idea is to take an overnight bike ride to a local destination as a refreshing getaway that won't disrupt the family or home.  A great idea which I think is easily expanded into 48 hours or there abouts.   After an evening and night in the South Haven area I went to an exotic location I had never visited.  Riding upwind, down the coast, 35 miles or so I visited downtown St. Joseph, Mi.  The downtown area is a vibrant surprise, full of quaint shops, cafe's and brewpubs.  
     The town is also strewn with  fish sculptures diving in and out of the concrete in different places.  It's like walking through a school of friendly artisanal dolphins.  Of course Lake Michigan doesn't have dolphins, but what the hell.  St. Joe also has a huge waterfront with a beach, amusement park and the largest splash pad I  have ever seen.  Nearly a hundred kids  escaped the heat frolicking in it.   I went a few miles farther south to the Grand Mere State park which is a beautiful forest on the shore, but they specifically disallow camping.  The afternoon was quickly passing so I didn't stick around.   Instead I went on my merry way (downwind) in search of some food.  It wasn't but a few miles to find a grocery where I got the necessary sausage, diced tomatoes and Zataran's to wash down with a couple of beers for dinner.

     Now all I needed was a picturesque place to lie down and crash.  Reaching the St. Joe river, I was taking a few miles off the return trip and knew (through pure hillbilly intellect) there was a secluded, unofficial and probably illegal little fishing spot at the end of the sandy two-track leading into the woods near the bridge.  I was right, and only had to bag up a few malt liquor cans and some discarded women's clothing to make it my own.  That's the glory of carrying camping equipment; I always have a clean, comfortable room with a beautiful view.  I can't say that about the NoTell Motel I passed on the road.
     The ride back on Friday was an idyllic trek.  Google said it was about 55 miles, but I managed to extend the ride through cool cloudy skies with the wind in my back.  I ignored Google and just meandered through the country roads heading NE.
Every now and then I would check to see where my GPS marker said I was.  Yep, I was on course to take another unfamiliar road through some fields and forests I'd never seen.  Got back in time for dinner.  Of course the cats had forgotten all about me so I had to fix it myself.  It was a trip long enough to be refreshing and not disrupt the home.


1 comment:

  1. Greetings from the UK. I enjoy cycling.

    Thank you. Love love, Andrew. Bye.

    ReplyDelete