This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Sunday, March 5, 2017

It's all in the details.

It made me feel like a kid!
So maybe jumping curbs is not a good idea.
 I really thought I had a broken spoke at first.  I never expected this to happen. I suppose once you develop a crack....it doesn't really heal. Maybe JBWeld and Gorilla Tape ain't going to get this done. 
  So I took it to the LBS to get the sage advice of their legendary wheel guy who, of course, told me that common sense should prevail and a stock wheel out of QBP's catalog would be the best way to go.  Couldn't argue with that so he picked a bit of an upgrade on the rim and away I went, confident to have the Hillbourne on the road again in a few days.  It came in, they called me,
I picked up nothing I expected.
The perspective is deceiving, they are the same diameter.
      How many other things are wrong with this picture.  Remember, this "expert" wheel guy was holding my damaged wheel (the one in back) in his hand while he searched for the right match.  Let's see, oh the whole damn thing is black while the original is silver.   When I picked it up the kid at the shop laughed and said "The brake track is silver!"  Now I'm not saying I wouldn't build a $3,000 bicycle from mismatched components (it might be fun), but I didn't.   One might expect an "expert" wheelman to ask about little details like, 32 or 36 spoke, 9 or 11 speed freehub, or the rim width, all of which were wrong but he also ordered all black components while looking at silver!  
This is why the LBS' of the world complain about the internet.  the incident reminds me of the time I wanted to upgrade the drive train on my my '87 Trek.  I went to a different LBS, told the guy what I wanted to do, he told me nobody made parts that would work, the derailers, shifters, rear wheel and bottom bracket would all have to be changed and instead I should look at their "latest greatest bike ever" at $2500.  I went home ordered what I wanted for $125 and have ridden happily ever after.  Then there was the time  I was looking for a touring bike at a shop which advertised both Trek and Surly brands.  When I told the owner I was looking for a touring bike, he immediately started talking about a custom titanium because "nobody makes touring bikes anymore."   The internet is where we get whatever we want rather than get sold what they want us to have.  
        That's what I did.  I turned right around, ordered a wheel much closer to what I want from the web page of a distant e-tailer.  While I was at it, I ordered some tires I have learned to order since no LBS carries them and they invariably try to sell me their favorite brand.  I also took a leap into the future with tubeless tires. I'm keeping the black wheel, I'll be able to use it on a future project I have in mind, I just wasn't expecting to buy it yet.
I am certainly not putting it on this bike.

2 comments:

  1. So glad you aren't putting it on that beauty!

    I hear you on the problem with LBSes. I've gotten so much bad information from them that I've stopped trying. I figure out what I want online and order it through the co-op if it is available from one of the places they have a contract with. If they can't get it, I just order it myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, these kids are only in tune with what the reps are pushing as the latest, greatest whatever. He as probably thinking, "everybody I know likes black," or not thinking at all.

      Delete