This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Thursday, November 24, 2016

Will vulnerability be more important than social entitlement?

    I'd like to know the name of the bitch who flipped me the bird before squealing her tires while cutting me off by inches when I crossed a street at a signaled intersection within a marked crosswalk.  I mean really!?  The most basic rule of the road is to yield right of way to somebody in a crosswalk before turning right against a red light.  There is no end to stupid out there.  I'm sure that some sort of social code entitles her, in her late model Mustang, to challenge the safety of a vulnerable crosswalk user.  I wonder if she does that to somebody in a wheelchair.
    It wasn't but a few days after  that a cyclist was hit by a car while crossing in a crosswalk connecting two parts of an MUP.  The cyclist suffered minor injuries but what can the driver be thinking to ignore somebody in a crosswalk at a signaled intersection?
    Not a week before, a few friends were struck from behind in a hit and run collision while enjoying an innocent group ride.  Fortunately, there were no life threatening injuries but the pickup truck is still at large with it's presumably inebriated driver at the helm.  It's really time to focus on the penalty for leaving the scene of an accident.

    All of this after both municipalities in the area have passed laws requiring 5 feet of passing space for a cyclist.  It's almost as if the cagers are revolting against common sense.
     Fortunately, I have found the "powers that be" are moving to our side.  Traffic engineers have bought the idea of road diets incorporating bike lanes, calming traffic and protecting vulnerable users on  roadways.  I'm finding from being around teenagers the next generation of drivers are not looking upon autos as an expression of social acceptance but responsibility.  Hopefully the next 60 years will not produce more traffic deaths than all the combat fatalities in the history of our country.

1 comment:

  1. Here in Memphis no one respects crosswalks. I mean, no one. I've even seen police cars pulled into the crosswalk at a red light (vs. waiting behind the white stop line). I've learned to use my "big voice," which involves yelling "HEY" or "WHOA" or some other monosyllabic exclamation in order to get safely across.

    I think you are right, though, the powers that be are coming our way. So is the next generation. In the meantime, take extra care of yourself and use the big voice when you must.

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete