This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Saturday, March 19, 2016

Technologies just keep racing past.

I don't usually question the Bike Snob (after all, he makes money intentionally writing nonsense, while I make none sticking to facts), but I had to check out his latest story about Nano Chains.  They exist, he wasn't lying.  They are not lubed with semen drawn from Mario Cippolini, but, hey, you can't have everything.  This makes no sense to me, but might be the service of choice for the spandex hamsters who got a second mortgage to buy a real road bike.  For only $160 you can have a chain hand treated with nano lube "driven  deep into each link."  Of course I think anything twice the price of a Wipperman stainless chain is excessive and extravagant.  In fact I think the Wipperman chains are extravagant. (says the guy riding a $3000 hybrid).  What really pisses me off though is not having a corner on smugness.  I had that under my wing by hot waxing my chains and enjoying the intimidated stares from club riders whenever I casually mention it.  It was awesome, but now there is a more excessive and eccentric procedure out there stealing my notoriety and it's even rumored to contain Cippo's gism.  I can't compete with that.
Muc-Off (what kinda name is that?) does have a few products that seem to make sense, but that damn Nano Chain makes as much sense as a $15000 road bike that is too light to qualify for competition.
    Now we also have a competitor for the Recon Jet glass thing also.
Now the Smart Halo will allow you to put all those statistics in your pocket 
so you won't be distracted from the trees, flowers or, oh yeah, traffic.  It records the same stuff on your phone and leads you around mindlessly following a light on the handlebars.   
This is a must have for anybody who cares about speed, distance, calories, watts and has no clue where they might be.  Then again, being one who choked on the truth and admitted that I don't race, won't race or even care about anything but having some fun, I doubt it will help me.
Seriously, if I get lost, I'll probably want to stop for a cup of coffee and stare at my phone anyway.

2 comments:

  1. Ha! Your first sentence made me laugh out loud. That's a perfect way to contrast the two blogs, both of which I enjoy very much.

    ReplyDelete