This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Saturday, November 14, 2015

Statistically speaking

The blustering inconsistency of November has rambled from 70F down to more predictable freezing temperatures.  The only characteristic we have found was the removal of leaves from every single branch.  Thanks to the winds we have finally seen the entrance of that transition between fall and winter.  Sunrise silhouettes each and every twig.
       Now, we have a barren norm.  While we wait for the first arctic clipper to blast a layer of snow off Lake Michigan across the fields.   I have to think about moving my bikes around so my car will fit into the garage.  There it will be ready, and closer to the charger since the battery will undoubtedly be dead when I need it   It won't be long before the streets are transformed 
into new and challenging single tracks of ice and snow to play in.

In the meantime, the shadows
 are long and early in the afternoon.
Base layers are out now and we start trading
 sweat on our brows for frosted eyelashes,
and finger-less gloves for hand warmers in our mittens.
   A new idea has been launched from the self proclaimed bike capitol, Portland.   Nearly Killed Me
is a new website where we can begin to log our close calls.  While only in it's infancy, it has the potential to produce some remarkable and realistic statistics about dangerous driving habits.  I'm sure it will accumulate it's share of data from over reaction, but if we are responsible and report incidents on a regular basis, it could be very illuminating to the public once enough data is compiled.  It's noteworthy, at least to me, that the announcement of the site came from our City Planner who has proven to be a tireless cycling advocate.  I've already reported one very close encounter with an SUV which nearly side swiped me.  I hope the rest of you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment