This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Sunday, March 8, 2015

Sprinter is here!

Sprinter\sprint r\ Noun[Midwestern American] Spring/Winter, the highly anticipated shoulder season of cycling filled with short warm days, sporadic storms and snow showers to ride between.  (I'd love to take credit for this, but somebody in Minneapolis coined that word.)  Arcaic[OE,Mod Eng]something that moves somewhere quickly.
     I get excited, there are supposed to be two weeks of 40-50 degree temps during the day.  Sunday was the first day of daylight savings time, and some of the harder core got together for a club ride Monday.  I will no longer be relegated to avoiding the court appointed cyclists on the street and be able to relate to the snubs of spandex hamsters and their scorning gaze as I pass them on a steel bike. Life is good.
I spent the week getting "tired."  No, I really didn't ride anywhere, I just put fresh tires on a couple of bikes, shed the studded ones and am hoping for the best.  It was warm enough to putter around the garage and I let the week get away from me by rebuilding and tuning up the stable.

    The world of 650B tires has gone wacko. A few years ago you couldn't find one, now there are so many designs it makes you dizzy.  It's all that one guy's fault.  You know the guy who won a big mountain bike event with 650b wheels.  Now everybody has to try them because it was obviously the bike not the rider who won.   All the spandex hamsters in the woods expect their abilities to be enhanced by a strange piece of rubber under them.  All the new tires are knobby and 2+ inches wide and everything I want is out of stock.  I ended up trying one of the original 650b boom tires- Rivendell's Nifty Swifty.  I wonder why I hadn't before.

This is a sweet tire.   It has a very mild checkerboard style tread and rolls very quickly.  It is rated for 10 lbs more pressure than the Soma Express tires I had used and is an honest 34mm wide.  It's a fun tire made by Panaracer.  I don't know how long they will be made but QBP has about 20 in stock so I figure they have 15 years worth for me.  Since changing the studs from Byron to these, I not only don't feel I've put my foot into a bucket of sand, I feel like an archaic "sprinter."  The weather is promising, but then again, this is Michigan.  A promise is sometimes all we enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment