This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

That time of winter.

     We've reached that point, a few weeks from spring, when freezing feels like a reprieve.  The temperatures almost got up to 32F yesterday and I felt like stripping to my shorts and rolling in the snow.   It probably wouldn't have been the right thing, so I restrained myself.  I wouldn't want my neighbors to think I am eccentric or anything.  They have just begun to accept the constant bike riding.  I was happy for one warm day on the weekend,
 we were back to sub-zero normality a couple of days later and people were asking the same old questions.  I'm going to get a t-shirt that says
YES
7 MILES
25 MINUTES
I HAVE A CAR!
Just so people won't ask.  I should probably add
 "AND A LICENSE" 
to be sure I'm not mistaken for a court appointed cyclist this time of year.

       There was light at the end of the horizon this morning and I was reminded that clear skies bring colder temperatures again.  It also means that days are getting longer and longer.  In two weeks we will experience daylight saving's time.  Club rides will officially hit the sloppy streets and a few brave spandex hamsters will emerge from hibernation having memorized all of Phil Ligget's commentary from last year's Tour while they watched the DVR from the comfort of their trainers.   The streets will no longer be mine and I will have to converse with others as well as the voices in my head. 

No comments:

Post a Comment