This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Saturday, January 17, 2015

Riding against the grain

It's finally winter here in the wonderland of it all, and the subject of my commuting keeps coming up.
Non-cyclists have this enormous fear and misunderstanding that we are out there elbow to elbow with buses and cars on icy city streets.  It gets hard to explain that I ride the streets that are off the main drag, or go the opposite direction of major commuting stream.  In the morning I ride right down the busiest street in the county.  It's the one that every town has, where you will find a couple shopping malls and every big box store and fast food franchise on the planet.  What people don't realize is that while I travel, those businesses are closed and their massive parking lots are well lit and deserted.  Even for the few blocks that I must use the streets, the majority of  traffic is going the opposite direction so I have the street to myself, and, if need be, I use the traffic signals to clear the streets for me.   I wait at a parking lot until the previous signal stops traffic
leaving me with all four lanes virtually to myself.
 In the afternoon the same street looks like this.  

The typical grand prix of consumerism,
with curb to curb frenetic racing to get from store to store to freeway exit.
That is when it is best to find a side street 
or an MUP a few blocks out of the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment