This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Monday, November 3, 2014

The upstroke

The Global Cycling Network  has produced a test which verified my suspicions about something considered one of the most significant technological advances in cycling.  Yes, a while ago clipless pedals, along with brifters, were rated among the most significant technological changes in cycling (at least during the past thirty or so years, for racing, I assume).  I used clipless pedals for years.   I thought they were good, but I don't race.  Finally one of them broke and I switched my road bike back to platforms with toe clips.  I kept the clipless/platform combination on my touring bike for a couple of years but finally I switched back to platforms on that also.   After years of tolerating "hotfoot"and shoes which were uncomfortable for walking,
I realized they are not compatible with touring and commuting,
I have been a lot happier with the wide platforms of MKS Lamda and VP Thin Gripsters on my bikes and don't have to suffer walking around in the crappy shoes with cleats on them.
  I suffer a lot less hotfoot after a day of touring.  The little pins on the pedals serve to keep my foot in place and, when I am ankling,  I don't noticed a loss of efficiency, 
The test GCN conducted confirmed my opinion,
 I thought a significant comment was made by the subject when he was surprised his foot
didn't leave the platform pedal on the upstroke.  He admitted that he must have been fooling himself that he was pedaling in a full circle when he was not.  The end result of the test showed little difference in his physical exertion and he actually expended less oxygen using the platform pedals.  I think most club riders just assume that the pedal is doing something it is not.  Like golfers, they assume the equipment makes the stroke.  If you mention the concept of "ankling" to most club riders you will find they have not heard of it.  It's a technique which has also been criticized as poor science.   Ankling, like clipless pedals, is a technique which should, on paper, extend the pedal stroke tremendously whether using toe clips or platforms.  The question is, do we do it.  Most of the time, no.   When climbing or accelerating, I know I do, and also know that the clipless pedals contribute in those conditions also.  Personally, I think comfort will get me farther down the road any day and I am inclined to ride more if I enjoy the ride. This is as close as I can get to technical stuff, it makes my head hurt, but now I want to see a wind tunnel test, lycra vs. wool.  Bring it on baby!

5 comments:

  1. Most of my bikes have platform pedals now. I ride with a fellow that still rides clipless, when we go somewhere he carries a spare pair of sandals/shoes to change into for longer walks. The time he takes to do that would get me a couple of miles down the road on my "inefficient" platform pedals.... to each their own.

    Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also gave up on clipless pedals. I Just pedal in a way that feels natural to me. I think everyone gets more efficient the more they ride. I'm not familiar with the term ankling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ankling refers to an older technique of extending the toe on the downward stroke to extend the pedal stroke back at the bottom, then, reversing and pointing the toe upwards to "push" the pedal over the top. Common in the days of clips and straps, it had plenty of detractors, but has fallen into the realm of cycling legend since people believe clipless pedal in a full circle without technique.

      Delete
  3. I used clipless pedals years ago. After kids, my shoes no longer fit and I didn't have the money to get new shoes. The more I ride with platform pedals, the more I realize I have no desire to go back to clipless. Yeah, what is ankling?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ankling refers to an older technique of extending the toe on the downward stroke to extend the pedal stroke back at the bottom, then, reversing and pointing the toe upwards to "push" the pedal over the top. Common in the days of clips and straps, it had plenty of detractors, but has fallen into the realm of cycling legend since people believe clipless pedal in a full circle without technique.

      Delete