This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Saturday, November 1, 2014

In the midst of change...

It's the shoulder season here in Michigan.  You've heard of that, when all the resorts and tourist traps drop their prices to try to keep traffic coming in at the end of the season.  In Michigan it's an act of desperation, trying to play down our famous motto, "If you don't like the weather, wait fifteen minutes."  I went out the other day with no rain in the forecast for two days.  Yep, got wet.  It wasn't too bad, but it is discouraging that the weather guessers can be that far off.  Earlier this week the weather was in the 40's and 60's so I was toying with the idea of a last camping weekend.  Nope, we're expecting snow this afternoon.

The weather alternates between horrible and beautiful.  Even though it's too early to put on the studded tires, I will use the wet nasty weather to stay inside and  service those wheels for the Hunq.
After all, I need to be ready on 15 minutes notice.  
Encouraging things do keep happening,  Bicycling Magazine calls New York the best cycling city in the US.  Cyclists there complain about the injustice system, but the great penthouse to the north is making progress.  Ontario  is implementing  tougher sanctions to control the caged beasts rolling around their countryside.
Toronto has gotten rid of the crack head who has been the model of stupidity.
Actually he is still on the city council, but that amounts to big demotion and the jackass will have to listen to other people for a change.  Down south, Mark Furrer, the Mayor of Sunset Hills Missouri has been charged with two felonies after allegedly driving into a cyclist.  Officials are talking about impeachment and,of course, he has nothing to say.
I can't really complain, but an idiot honked at me today.  I was approaching the end of a block where the street separates into right and left turn lanes.  Since I was turning left, I signaled, pulled across the lane and proceeded to the left turn lane.  The car behind, honked, peeled off a little rubber, went around to the right turn lane (without signalling) and glared at me as if I had farted on her birthday cake.  Yesterday, somebody waited at a business driveway very politely for me to pass.  I signaled by pointing with my right hand to let them know I was turning in at that point.  They looked confused, their gaze followed the direction of my finger in a hypnotic trance as if I was pointing to a flock of unicorns attacking from above.  Come on!  Should we signal or not?  They seem to think it's either misleading or rude when we do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment