This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Friday, August 29, 2014

The event!

  I remember the days when people rode their bikes to class, then to work all week long.  They just got on their bikes and went there.  Then the weekend would roll around and they might put on some special wool shorts and a pair of shoes that were weird and would race the same bike in a weekend race.  Whatever happened?

Now, just going for a ride is an event.  It requires a ton of electronics, a day off of work( I presume to check the electronics) and always requires special clothes.  Bike riding used to be getting on a bike and going somewhere.  But now, it's an event.  You have to call people, post on Farcebook, map a route on Strava, get the route approved by all the "friends" you call and notify on Farcebook, and then you have to get dressed.
I feel so foolish and silly sometimes,  because I have three bikes I can just get on and ride.
I have nothing that is not a multi- functional bike.
I just go places and people stare like confused children when I talk about it.
They look at each other in a group and say, "I have thought of that...going somewhere.  I just don't have bike for that yet."  They all nod in vacuous agreement.  
I mount my bike, and go somewhere again.
It's a crazy notion, going somewhere on a bike.  We have cars for that,
so we go somewhere to ride our bikes back...to, ah, wherever we went.  That makes sense.
And they wonder why I call them spandex hamsters.




No comments:

Post a Comment