This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

It's our fault, that's what it is.

  Probably everybody has heard of the mayor of Sunset Hills Missouri.  You know, what's his name?  The fat realtor who won the mayor's election, and recently attacked a cyclist with his Mercedes.  It's a cool incident (except that the cyclist got hurt) because he blatantly denies it despite several witnesses on the scene, and 911 recordings documenting the incident.
Then his police department didn't give him a ticket, let alone arrest him.
I don't blame him for thinking he has privileges, we (American society) have led him to believe
 that driving expensive cars is important, and that politicians are a privileged lot.
We (society) ignore that most people can't afford the cars they drive and
the never ending flow of evidence that politicians are self serving crooks. 
 He has been led to believe his position and
auto entitle him to privilege
 and for that; Mr self important whatshisname,
the mayor of Sunset Hills Missouri.
is being awarded 
From what I have read the guy
won't have much of a career left.
I doubt that he will even get the pleasure of a self ingratiating phony "apology" ride given to the murderous cop who couldn't get the smirk off her face when trying to sound sorry.
Then there is this housing inspector who told people they cannot keep bicycles in the garage.  

What the hell are garages for?  
How could we impress and intimidate our neighbors if we keep our fancy cars and trucks hidden in the garage.  That kind of behavior is what made our suburban culture.
 It's not good but that's what it is.
 Fortunately, he was misinterpreted, but the complaint reminds me of the day my neighbors appointed an investigator to check me out.  They thought I was running a business from my garage (a violation of association rules), after all, why would anybody have 6 bikes in his garage?  One of the neighbors was designated to talk to me about my "bike business."  I loved the look on his face when I told him I ride them all.  It was better when I explained they have  "uses."  "Yes," I explained, " I use this for traveling and camping, this for going to the mall,the grocery,theater or meetings, this for any mixture of stuff..."  "What's that? Oh yes, I go places on them!"  That's when he lapsed into a deer like trance.  I didn't dare tell him I had only driven 500 miles the previous year.
 I might have found him
stumbling around the parking lot later,
mumbling in some kind of catatonic daze.
Winding down on a positive note; despite the predictions 
Da,da,la,da,ta daaaaa,

Take that Dorothy!  We begrimed the crap out of you without an injury. 
Adults can learn to ride bikes without hurting themselves, who knew?
Oh, yeah.  William F. Buckley.  He advocated making Manhattan a non motorized city.  
Go figure!

No comments:

Post a Comment