This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Saturday, June 21, 2014

Pedal Project

I've had the  "Thin Gripster" pedals from VP Components on my Hunq long enough to know I love them.  
The pure techno nerds will insist they are not as efficient as clipless and cleats but I disagree.
I doubt anybody actually utilizes the full benefit clipping in provides.  I know for certain I didn't.
I also know that efficiency does have a failure point, that exists where it interferes with comfort.
Comfort will take me farther
 down the road than efficiency any day.
 If a person is ankling properly 
there is no noticeable difference.  
I'm sure somebody somewhere has a machine
 that will say I'm wrong, but oh well.
Those are really comfortable pedals and 
I believe the little pegs, rivets, screws or whatever
 make the pedal as efficient as "clipping in" ever made me. 
I wanted to put the same thing on
 the wonderfully comfortable MKS "Lamda" pedals.
These pedals fit even more of the foot and hold it comfortably also,
 but Rivendell offers an upgrade
 in the form of the same little screws to add more grip.
Twelve bucks and 20 minutes
was all it took to upgrade these characters.
I drilled some 1/8 inch holes in the center of the tread patterns,
used a ridiculously tiny allen wrench
 to screw in the self-tapping screws,
and there I had it.
 The screws come a package of 32,
 so I added 8 on each pedal side.
I put three on the leading edge with
 two reinforcing behind in the second row
and three more on the back edge.
That puts a nice amount of grip right under the ball of my foot,
reinforced by three more at the instep.
I did manage to break the reflector on one pedal (DARN!).  
 Just be careful if it matters.
It's not as much as the 13 per side I have on the Gripsters, 
but I think it's the most efficient pattern for the upgrade.  
Even 8 per side might be overkill, but if I didn't use 'em, I'd probably lose them.

No comments:

Post a Comment