This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Stickin' out in a crowd.

Just the other day I was asked to talk to the staff of a local bike shop about commuting.  Of course the question of visibility came up.   I really think that anything in high-vis colors is a good thing.  I have used the "safety triangle" and various flashy lights and think the safety triangle is probably the most visible, but anything which sticks out in traffic makes me feel better.  Then I came home and found this study on the internet.

     Jerseys: Does What a Cyclist Wear

    Encourage Motorist to Pass Safely?


Aside from the obvious grammatical problems, it is a pretty interesting study.  Apparently they went through a number of different types of jerseys in traffic, filmed the behavior of the drivers and found they responded to nothing except a hi-vis vest which said POLICE on it. The conclusion kinda contradicts studies by OSHA and several other organizations (to say nothing of common sense) that hi-vis colors are safer in traffic situations.  On the other hand, I have a hard time arguing because I was wearing a safety vest the only time I was hit by a car.  I was right at the front of her car, with the right-of-way, when she looked me in the eye and accelerated from a stop sign.  Later, after carrying me on her hood for a block, she told an officer she didn't see me.
  It's hard to tell if these "studies" are done with any agenda. 
Some people seem to think they can accomplish something.
I trust my opinions because I admit they are unqualified.     
        Anyway, I think it's best to have what I call targeted visibility.  
The  safety triangle is  more like  a target, 
but people seem to  respond.  I promised not to talk about the H word, but I found one I like in hi-vis color and will probably rely on that and lights in the future.  If you believe the "study" and want to imitate a "POLICE" officer.  There are possibilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment