This is a shameless attempt to save the the most advanced civilization in
history from imminent self destruction by eliminating carbon emission,
dependence on foreign sources of fuel,obesity, hypertension and diabetes.
Cycling accomplishes all those things at once and helps us develop a better
understanding of ourselves, each other and our relationship to the cosmos.

Oh, horse puckey!
I like to ride bikes, have been doing it all my life.
The rest of that crap is just a fringe benefit,
and the blogosphere gives me a chance to share my interior
monologue with virtual rather than imaginary friends.

Thursday, March 6, 2014

It's happenin'...creeping upon us...Daylight Savings time comes this weekend!

We are gaining approximately two and one half minutes of daylight with each revolution of the earth.  Two endless weeks is the mark of the equinox and that has spread the insidious rumor that we are gradually tilting toward the sun.  It's gotta melt right?

Normally I don't mind winter, it's time to put the golf clubs away and get out the skis.  By the time I am tired of it, it's gone.  I've never been so tired of anything in my life.  It's been too cold for too many days.  It's snowing again today, hell why not?

I am seeing why a lot of recreational cyclists don't commute.  With the obscene amount of snow, my riding style and aggressiveness in traffic has been subdued.   Icy patches and generally dangerous conditions have slowed me down considerably. The narrowed streets squeeze a bit of the  fun from it.   I feel a bit like a beast on a bridle being led around a park, quietly and carefully.  I really want to get out the skinny tires and gallop across the countryside with my legs complaining for a change.  I want to feel the wind in my face without the cover for frostbite and charge across asphalt rather than scurry through traffic worrying about ice patches.  I've developed the same aversion for the winter riding that spandex hamsters have for commuting.

If I drive my car I will relinquish my right to sanctimonious conceit.

2 comments:

  1. Man, I feel for you northern folk. I can't imagine the living conditions up there. It's been cooler than normal down here also, but it's summer I dread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, during the cold weather I am more comfortable on my bike because of the body heat generated. We dread the summer "heat" more than you even though 90 is our outer limit for comfort here. This winter has been a lifetime event. I don't mind the normal winters, but every time we turned around the last couple months we got hit with another 12-24" snow fall. I'm just tired of it.

    ReplyDelete